Testosterone Replacement

OK, so I've been positive now since December 1997. It's been an easy, manageable diagnosis since, however, for the last few years I have been EXTREMELY tired. We ran all the tests, finally my doctor decided to look at my testosterone levels. They were very low, at 176. He said this was the cause of my fatigue and making me feel like a 70 year old. I am 31. My current viral load is undetectable and CD4 count is 1012. I'm still on my first meds of Combivir and Viramune, which I have been taking since March of 1998. I've tried Androgel, no significant response, I've tried Testim, again, no significant response and the stuff never dries, so my clothes stick to my body all day long. My doctor wants me to stick with one of these two because he tells me these are the safest forms especially for my liver. However, I'm curious about anything else that is out there that may be better and yet still safe. What about injectable brands?

Response from Dr. Conway

Your antivirals may actually be contributing to you being tired. If your CD4 count was never below 350 cells/mm3, it may be possible for you to go off treatment, taking this issue out of the discussion. You may wish to talk to your doctor about this. Otherwise, most endocrinologists we deal with recommend injectable testosterone to deal with true deficiencies. If you're worried about your liver, going off antivirals may have an additional advantage here, or at least changing your regimen to avoid hepatotoxic drugs.

Restarting Medications
Fever - hoarse voice