Want to Switch

Hello, I have been on Trizivir plus Sustiva for 2 years. It is working well - knock on wood. Previously, I was on Viracept, Epivir and Zerit. I have some 3TC resistance now, but would like to remove the AZT in my cocktail and replace it with something else to perhaps help with my lipoatrophy. Do you have any suggestions on other drugs to use in this combo replacing the AZT?

Response from Dr. Conway

If you have a suppressed viral load, there could be the possibility of changing the AZT to something like tenofovir. If you do this, you will have to watch very carefully to make sure a virologic breakthrough does not occur, as we will be altering the barrier to resistance that exists (a single K65R mutation would confer resistance to both tenofovir and abacavir, and you already have some 3TC resistance).

Fatigue's Kicking In
Advantages and disadvantages to phenotypic and genotypic resistance testing