Dangers of pets for HIV positive people?

I am considering get a cat for a pet, companionship. However, my doctor recommended that I do not get a kitten due to a fungus that is found in the litter. I am HIV+ and told that I might have problem with this. If not, would a small dog be a better choice? PS I do love cats. Larry

Response from Dr. Conway

I'm sorry to confirm that cats may be dangerous, due to the possible transmission of cryptococcus, a fungus that can cause infections of the lungs, blood and lining of the brain. Dogs are much safer. Although cryptococcus is only a problem if the CD4 count is below 100 cells/mm3, it is still not recommended that you have ongoing contact with a cat even if your CD4 count is still normaljust in case.

HIV + with lost sex drive
Actos and belly fat