side effects

I have just started meds for hiv. i am taking combivir, kaletra, zithromax, and smz/tmp. i started 4 days ago. the first day, i had blotchiness on my arms, legs and chest and itching. the second day, the blotchiness started to dwindle, and now is almost gone, but the itchiness is still bugging me. is this normal?

Skin issues are quite common when starting antiretroviral medications and/or sulfa or other antibiotics. I often start one set of drugs for 2-4 weeks and then another set (ie first the antiobiotics and then the antiretrovirals) so that I can better sort out which drug might be causing a given reaction. Again, skin rash and itching is common. If it worsens or other symptoms develop you need to discuss with your HIV specialist. KH

Reyataz and Verelan PM
Needle stick injury