Liver Function and Viramune/Testosterone

I have a question about long term liver toxicity.

I am on a once daily regimen of viramune/viread and emtriva. I also take depo-testosterone injections for low test and lexapro for depression.

I am nervous about how the HAART (especially viramune) and the injectible testosterone will impact my liver long term.

Would you suggest anything to minimize this?

If you have been on that HIV regimen for a while then the rate of new liver toxicity seems low. There is not much data on the liver safety of very long term use of depo-testosterone. There is no confirmed way to prevent liver toxicity with any form of alternative therapy (i.e. milk thistle) though there is interest and many anecdotal reports. I continue to monitor patients liver status every 3 months or so in my patients on a regimen such as yours. Pushing good hydration and nutrition and avoiding other liver toxins (such as excessive alcohol or Tylenol) is also important. Protecting against hepatitis A/B with vaccination is another way to try and avoid liver problems. KH

is this a sign of resistance?
abacavir -- excreted in stools