mycobacterium gordonae

I recently had bacterial pnuemonioa and at that time the sputum specimen they collected tested positive for either TB or MAC. Now the Dr. is telling me that infact I have Mycobacterium gordonae and that my subsequent weeks of Biaxin, Levaquin and Ethambutol should have taken care of it. However my CD4 count has dropped from 280 down to 164 and my VL remains less than 400. What are your thoughts on this? What is gordonae? thanks!!

M gordanae is an atypical mycobacterium--those 3 meds are usually pretty active against it. Maintaining HIV therapy with a low RNA and protecting the CD4 count is also recommended if possible. The CD4 count can drop in the midst of an infection and often rebounds with successful therapy. KH

Fuzeon reaction
Is melatonin safe for HIV positive people?