HIV+ and Desperate for baby

I am 31 and have been HIV+ for 12 years now. Have been relatively healthy until last year when CD4 count went down to 170 from usual 400-500 range. I am now on triple combination ARV-Douvir and Efavirenz(Stocrin) and my CD4 count ranges between 350-400. I want to have my own child. My doctor says I have to get off Efavirenz first as its not a safe drug for pregnancy. Would you advise being pregnant after being HIV+ for so long. I'm desperate to have my own child. What are the chances for the baby to be born HIV-?

In situations like yours I often have advised that a switch from Stocrin to nevirapine or a PI (such as Crixivan)may be an option. A few patients have decided to get pregnant on efavirenz when other options aren't so good. If your HIV level is undetectable on whatever treatment then the chances that the baby will be HIV+ are minimal (perhaps less than 1%). KH

Dental Implants in HIV patients
Do Meds Help PN?