Doctor Not Treating HCV, only HIV

My husband is HIV, Hep C pos and has had Hep B but cleared his system. His HIV doc is not pursuing treatment for HCV. His VL is undetectable, Tcells around 360, not sure liver counts, platelet count stays around 50,000-80,000. Not much info out there on HCV and HIV coinfection that I can find. What little I have found indicates that he is not being treated for Hep C due to his t-cell count being below 400 and not able to biopsy liver. Any more information you can provide would be most helpful. My inlaws don't understand and just keep complaining about his doctor, but they don't make any effort to educate themselves. I am negative on all counts by the way. We have been married 14 years and known of his illnesses since 1999. Thank you for your help.

The treatment of the hep C/HIV co-infected patient can be a challenge though the results are getting better. Determining the hep C genotype and the histologic stage (with a liver biospy)are often the first steps to decide about treatment. Avoiding all alcohol and liver toxins is very important as is making sure there is no untreated depresssion or drug abuse. Most metro areas have a GI or ID specialist who is interested in hepatitis C therapy. KH

Severe Headaches/Undetermined Cause
skin reaction?