weight-gain

I HAVE BEEN ON COMBIVIR AND VERAMUNE FOR THE LAST 4 MONTHS. i HAVE DEFINITELY NOTICED AN INCREASE IN MY WEIGHT APPROX 14 LBS. I EXERCISE 4-5 TIMES A WEEK LIFTING WEIGHTS AND DOING AEROBICS. i AM EATING MUCH LESS THAN I USED TO BEFORE STARTING MEDS SINCE I FIND MOST FOODS INTOLERABLE OR I AM SO NAUSEOUS ALL THE TIME. i SEEM TO BE GAINING THE WEIGHT IN THE LOWER ABDOMINAL AREA. I definitely notice an increase in bulk in my arms and chest but not enough to count for this weight gain. Could it be water retention? SIGNS OF WASTING ON THE FACE OR EXTREMITIES. iS THIS WEIGHT GAIN A RESULT OF THE MEDS? iF SO, AT WHaT POINT DOES IT FINALLY level off.STEVE

Many patients gain weight during the first year on therapy (mostly fat) which in some cases makes up for some weight loss due to untreated HIV. Water retention as a cause of weight gain would be unusual in the absence of kidney, heart, or liver problems or severe malnutrition. Wasting in the face is not usually seen that early. The meds you are on generally are some that have less of an impact on fat/weight then many other combinations in use. Your HIV doc can evaluate your weight gain and fat distribution and discuss with you what might be going on and what could be done about it. KH

Metamucil??
Is Keletra a good alternative to Sustiva?