Metamucil??

I've read many times controversial information about the fact that Metamucil could affect the absorption of HIV meds. Some doctors say it does, some say it does not. However, I noticed today that, at least in my case, there seems to be a problem: I've been taking Metamucil daily for over a month to deal with an anal fissure. I notice today that an entire pill of one of my meds was completely covered with the fiber mucus-like material of my stools and it seemed not to have been processed or absorbed by my body at all. Is this of concern?

In some patients that is a possibility though for most patients I don't think it is a problem. If you are passing undigested capsules in your stool that is very noteworthy--also suggests fairly rapid bowel transit times. I have had many patients take Metamucil without problems though more often I recommend Fibercon tablets. I would discuss with your HIV doc without delay to see what alternatives are available that meet your needs and whether any further work up is needed. KH

Currently HAART and Seizure medication interactions
weight-gain