Hair Loss and Norvir

I have been on Norvir, Invirase and ziagen since 1/02. As of 5/03 I have noticed a significant change in the texture and thickness of my hair. Whenever I wash my hair it comes out in lng strands and I find hair on my pillows as well. Due to severe neuropathy in 11/03, my doctor put me on bextra and cellcept and switched me to Zerit. I was unable to tolerate, so was placed on Kaletra in 2/04.I am still experiencing hairloss at a very rapid rate. Is there anything that I can do to lessen or stop it, other that switching out meds. My CD4 as of 3/04 was 396 and viral load of 80.

For a minority of patients hair loss with certain drugs is a major issue. Other than looking at other drugs options (depending on past treatment history, resistance status), hormone status (thyroid/testosterone), nutrition, local scalp condition (? dermatology input)-- I don't have any wonderful recommendations. For some patients it is the NRTIs (ie Ziagen) that seems to be the problem (trial and error basis) so I sometimes have them on double boosted PI regimens or other NRTI spraring approaches. Anyone out here is cyberspace who has other suggestions? KH

Making Sense of High Viral Load Results
Is our future compromised?