At what point does HIV affect the brain?

What are the symptoms of the HIV affecting the brain? I have had some really strange things going on and I'm wondering if Im starting to lose it. vl= und cd4=699 Im on Zoloft for mild depression and Reyataz, Videx and Epivir for the HIV. Please respond as I have asked this before and received no reply.

Response from Dr. Conway

I'm sorry to hear of your problem. It does not seem likely that you are having an AIDS-related condition that is affecting your brain, given your high CD4 count. Also, it does not appear that side effects of your HIV medications are the answer. It appears that you are suffering from depression, and I would ask if your symptoms may be related to this. All other things being considered, HIV may be a cause of some symptoms on its own, and I would encourage you to discuss this with your doctor, as there may be specific tests to figure this out.

Thanks from a mom
I have a terrible taste in my mouth