control of diarrhea using tincture of opium

Recently you answered a question about controlling diarrhea using Immodium or codeine. I've seen a lot of depedency develop from using codeine or other narcotics to control diarrhea. I know of a doctor that prescribed tincture of opium for diarrhea. Are there any advantages to using tincture of opium over other narcotics? It worked well for a friend of mine, but I haven't seen it prescribed since. Thanks, D

Response from Dr. Conway

Tincture of opium is just a bit harder to get in some places, but it should do the trick in the same way as I proposed using codeine.

You raise a VERY important point. We must do all we can to avoid narcotic dependency. If codeine is to be used to control diarrhea, it should ideally be for a short time. There should be a plan to go back to other agents (such as loperamide) to see if it will keep the diarrhea under control as soon as this is feasible.

Your very creative use of resistance testing
Thanks from a mom