Reyataz with Norvir

I'm currently on a regimen of Kaletra, Viread, and Epivir. I'm switching the Kaletra for Reyataz next week (hopefully to help with lipodystrophy), but my doctor never mentioned boosting the Reyataz with Norvir (I noticed in one of your responses on April 8 that it was imperative). Should I discuss with my doctor? Maybe it was just an oversight since she is a very experienced doctor with lots of HIV patients. If I need to take the Norvir/Reyataz (because of the Viread) could I then drop the Epivir since that would have me taking 4 medications when 3 should do the job? I'll followup with my doctor, but would appreciate your insight. Thanks a bunch.

Response from Dr. Conway

There is now some preliminary evidence that a switch to Reyataz may be helpful in controlling or reversing lipodystrophy, and it will be important to see if this information is confirmed in more than the three cases that have been reported to date.

Reyataz must be boosted with Norvir in people who have previously received protease inhibitors, in order to boost blood levels to make the Reyataz effective. In this setting, it is just not potent enough on its own. If you have never received protease inhibitors before the Kaletra and your viral load is undetectable, some doctors would choose to change you to Reyataz without Norvir boosting, while others would always use Norvir boosting, just to be on the safe side.

One way or antoher, you should thing of the Norvir here as a booster rather than as another drug, and you still need to stay on Epivir.

Heart complaint - and HIV
meds and supplement interactions