Osteoporosis link?

I was on Crixivan for 7 years, and have switched to a number of regimens trying to find something suitable for the past two years. Now I am on a Kaletra/Videx EC/Viramune regimen and it seems to be working.

Recently, my doctor observed that he thought I looked a bit hunched over and ordered a DEXA test. The results indicate I have osteopenia. I am a 49 year old man. Could this be the result of my meds?

Jim

Rates of bone problems (osteopenia, osteoporosis, and aseptic necrosis of the hip) may be higher in HIV+ persons than in the general population. The role of patient factors (age, sex, hormone status, exercise, nutrition), HIV factors (degree of CD4 depletion), and HIV treatment (specific drugs or general effect of improved status) remains to be clarified. Results from studies are somewhat mixed. Some data exists that regimens that result in increased lactic acid levels (? related to mitochondrial toxicity from NRTIs) may be involved in some patients. I often get DEXA scans on patients to assess bone density. Calcium and vitamin D can be helpful. The potential benefit of testosterone supplementation is yet not substantiated. Alendronate is being studied by the ACTG for its benefit for treatment of osteoporosis. I can't say whether your current regimen is any more linked to bone mineral loss than many other regimens. I evaluate hormone status, recommend calcium and vitamin D supplementation, exercise, and refer to a study when locally available. KH

Pediatric Spastic Paraperesis
neuroapthy