Heart complaint - and HIV

A year ago, after being diagnosed HIV+ I started on Combivir and Sustiva. I quickly became undectectable and my CD4 count has risen to about 550 at last count. Shortly after being diagnosed, but before starting meds I developed an ectopic heart beat, which is now very frequent (daily and frequently durnig the day). At that point my VL was in the millions and my CD4 count around 250. In addition I was coinfected with syphillis, which was treated with a series of 17 injections.

I have had and ECG, various xrays and the news from my HIV consultants is that my ectopic heartbeat is not related to my status/drugs.

However I have read that syphillis in HIV patients can cause swelling of the heart vessels if it has not been treated efficiently - is this the case.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of or have explored?

Thanks for your help.

Yes syphilis can involve the heart and its vessels. The mechanism and cause of an ectopic heart rhythm can be challenging to sort out. There are a host of metabolic, genetic, infectious and inflammatory conditions (most quite rate) that could trigger that. A good cardiologist in conjuction with your HIV specialist should be able to sort out the various possibilities and determine if any further work-up is needed in order to understand your condition and protect your health. KH

Different Story
Confused oon medication