Making Sense of High Viral Load Results

Hi - first, like many people on here, I want to thank you for all the work that you do - this site was recommended by my doctor when I was first diagnosed and it's been a great source of information and comfort.

My question is about my viral load tests - I was diagnosed on 10/29/03 with an ititial VL of 109,350. Subsequent test on 11/06 was 333,297 and 11/20 was 231,310. Enrolled in a study (ACTG5142 - Sustiva and Kaletra) and began treatment on 11/25 - also had another VL test that day before medication began and the result was 970,648. Since then monthly VL results have been 183,077, then 5,437, then 500, then 181. CD4 count has gone from 507 on 11/06 to 701 this past February. It all seems really good - but I'm not sure what to make of the 970,648 VL - doesn't that seem abnormally high and a huge increase from 5 days earlier when it was 231,310? I had a series of relatively minor infections just previously to diagnosis (wisedom teeth), but thought I was relatively healthy at the time of the VL test. I'm just trying to understand my history a little better, and any insight you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Conway

Thank you for your kind comments about the site.

As far as your viral load goes, when it gets that high, the test becomes imprecise, and I would not read anything into a variability between 231,000 and almost a million. I am rather impressed at the stepwise reduction in load on treatment, it having taken this long to come down because it started from so high. I am not at all worreid that the last measure is not undetectable, but would still keep following it down. You're almost there, keep up the good work!!!

I am desparate then ever
stomach problems