Resistance Mutation 103Q

I had a resistance test prior to starting HAART, showing resistance to nevirapine/Viramune with mutation 103Q. I have read that some of the mutations at 103 are cross-resistant but I have not been able to find any specific information on the 103Q mutation. Are all mutations at 103 cross-resistant in the NNRTI class? Should I be worried that this mutation could confer resistance to Sustiva, and in turn cause my regimen to fail sooner rather than later? Should I consider swaping out the Sustiva for a PI before that happens?

I'm 36, my current (and only) regimine is Sustiva, Epivir, & Viread. Started meds 4/03 with CD4 of 310 & VL of 67,700. My VL took five months to fall to undetectable and has stayed there so far. So, after 11 months on treatment I'm undetectable w/ CD4 at 552. I've never missed a pill, but have been late a few times. So overall I'm doing well...just wondering if I should be proactive in switching meds.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give!

Seattle Dude

Response from Dr. Conway

Hi Seattle dude from two hours up the highway in Vancouver.

The short answer is...don't worry. You are undetectable on your current simple and effective regimen. This is the combination that was used in Gilead study 903 and has now produced excellent results over 3 years.

K103Q is not the same as K103N, the mutation that causes broad cross-resistance to all current NNRTIs. it has been described in a small number of cases, always with other mutations. Its appearance on its own in a drug-naive setting is of doubtful significance, especially in the setting of a maximal response to therapy, such as you have experienced.

high liver levels/latic acidosis/hep c
I am desparate then ever