My boyfriend has AIDS

The man I'm dating is 40 years old and has been HIV+ for 20 years. He's been on medication for 10 years; has lost almost 10 lbs in the last year; doesn't get enough sleep; and sometimes misses doses. He's thin and often has a facial rash at night. We have had protected sex twice.

If we kiss passionately, the next day I have a residue in my mouth that creates a very bad taste and lasts for 3-5 days. My tongue is coated with a yellowish-white stuff that doesn't go away with mouth wash or brushing. I don't know if it's due to his tobacco chewing (only once/day) or if it's HIV related. Have you ever heard of this before with AIDS patients?

Thank you so much for you time.

Kissing is a a fairly safe activity. If is safer if the HIV+ partner is on treatment and has an undetectable viral level. It is also safer if the dental/oral health of both partners is good (good gums, dentition, no sores or bleeding). I recommend good dental evaluation and dental care. Chewing tobacco itself causes some oral mouth problems and chemical residue which can be detected by a kissing partner. I assume your dental health is OK and that you are HIV-. KH

Question on Lipoatrophy
Hairy Leukoplakia