Epilepsy and HIV: are the two DIRECTLY related?

I work with HIV+ individuals and have noticed that quite a large percentage of them have seizure disorder/epilepsy. Is there a direct relation between HIV and epilepsy? Most of my clients are also substance abusers, and I am curious as to which factor (drug abuse or HIV+ including meds.) has the biggest impact on the high incidence of HIV+ seizure disorder combo.?

Many AIDS related infections can involve the brain and result in a seizure disorder. Drug use and trauma can also result in a tendency to seizure disorders (drug use and head trauma often go together). HIV meds per so have not been linked to increased rate of seizures-in fact-decrease the rate of AIDS-associated seizure problems. KH

Chronic neck pain due to staph infection
Warning