Managing Phosporous Loss

Hi all -

My HIV specialist told me that my latest blood work showed a decreased level of phosphorous. He said the numbers were nothing to worry about, that this was commonly seen with one of the meds I'm on, and that there is nothing I need to do to suplement right now. When should I start to worry, and what can I do to supplement or help prevent phosphorous loss? I'm on my first regimine, and it is working well: 3TC, Viramune, and Viread.

Thanks! Chuck Kirby

Viread has been associated with phosphorous loss. A level less than 2.5 mg/dL is worth monitoring and possibly providing oral replacement. A quart of low fat or skim milk provides up to a gram of P04. Low phosphate levels are usually asymptomatic though if severe there may be muscle weakness and bone problems (severe if develops quickly and levels get to < 1 mg/dL. There are numerous forms of PO4 pills that can be taken to replace any PO4 lost. KH

pep and peripheral fat loss
Neuropathy Starting?