HIV meds and hemmorhoids

I have been having a problem that keeps getting worse. I have found that with my HIV meds, I defecate more often, and there is more strain necessary when I do. (I am currently on Combivir/Sustiva). I have developed a hemmorhoid that my doctor noticed when treating a mild anal warts outbreak, and it is quite painful when I am defecating (and for the time after), and it bleeds each time as well. I don't know how I can relieve this and/or make it go away if I continue to strain when I go to the bathroom, but I don't have any other way to get it out. Please help. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Boyle

There are treatments for hemorrhoids, including some relatively effective over the counter medications, such as Preparation H, and you might give one of them a try. If that doesn't work, there are some prescription treatments as well that you should discuss with your doctor. As far as the cause of your hemorrhoids, I'm not quite sure what's going on since you report that you go more often, but have to strqain to do so. If you are having hard stools, a stool softener might help. If you are going more often and the stools are soft/loose, then something to slow your bowel motility might help. You should discuss this with your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

Lack of desire sexually, but testosterone normal
Adherence Issues