Cholesterol/ Tryglicerides concern

First of all, thank you for your contribution to this forum. Your help is greatly appreciated. To begin, I've had a difficult time finding a cocktail over a 4 yr period due to a "fatty" liver with pre-existing liver enzymes and no evidence of hepatitis. An ulstrasound revealed benign "fatty" tumors to be the cause. After 6 cocktails, none of which have ever achieved "undetectable," I am and have been taking Kaletra, Sustiva(rechallenged), Epivir, and Zerit(rechallenged). My VL fluctuates between 300 and 5,000 and my T Cells vary from 470 -589, over an 18 month period. My latest labs revealed tryglicerides to be 1,100 and cholesterol to be 380. My ID Doc. suggests pravachol and colestid. Will this hurt my liver more? If not, will they even lower my lipids enough to be satisfactory? Should I opt for a new regimen again? Should I be looking at Fuzeon? Can these lipid lowering drugs lower the amount of antiretroviral medications in my bloodstream? I'm desperate. Please help me and continue to help others. Thank you for your time and all you do.

Response from Dr. Conway

Thanks for your kind comments about the site and our work.

Your question is a complex one. First, your high lipids (especially your triglycerides) are linked to the Kaletra. Changing that to something else (if this is possible) may well go a long way to addressing the problem. The lipid lowering drugs are unlikely to have any effect on your antiretroviral drug levels. If you have never been on Pravachol and Colestid, they have a good chance of working, and you will know over the first number of weeks if this is the case.

As far as Fuzeon goes, it would depend on what else you can use with it. If the viral load remains detectable on Fuzeon, resistance to it will, inevitably, develop. This brings us to the all important question of whether you should be changing your regimen. This depends, at this stage, on the resistance pattern. Based on this, I would see what the simplest option for you might be, with two specific things in mind:

1. Substituting the Kaletra for something else, if this option exists. 2. Making use of Fuzeon only if this is needed to construct a regimen that has a significant lieklihood of leading to complete virologic suppression.

Good luck...

Lypodistrophy my partner
Ibuprofen and Viread