Oral Hairy Leukoplakia Clean Up?

I have OHL and have battled it since my infection ten years ago. I see a dentist regularly and have only been told to brush and scrape my tongue to help reduce this problem. I once overheard someone saying something about a prescription, a liquid, that is "painted" on the tounge and the OHL comes off. Do you know of such a medication? Many Thanks, Lynn

Response from Dr. Conway

High doses of acyclovir have been used successfully in temporarily treating OHL, but lesions often recur after discontinuing treatment. Local applications of podophyllin are also used to manage OHL, but lesions usually return within months. In the early days of the HIV epidemic, vitamin A acid applications were also tried, with limited success.

The best approach is HAART...once the CD4 cell count rises, the improvement in the immune system is usually enough to lead to a resolution of the condition over time.

Skin Lesions because of drugs?
Stop meds after starting early?