Skin Lesions because of drugs?

I am currently taking Combivir and Sustiva and seem to be doing well with no detectable HIV. However, I have about 8 dime to quarter-sized red spots on my upper body which itch and sometimes break and bleed. I went to a dermatologist but he does not seem to know what is causing the spots. Could they be a side effect of the drugs I am taking since they appeared shortly after I began the regime? If so, is there anything I can do to eliminate or treat them? Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,

GW

Response from Dr. Conway

A rash can be caused by many things (allergies, eczema, etc...) and a dermatologist should be able to make a diagnosis, even if a biopsy fo them needs to be done.

This being said, a rash could easily be a side effect of the Sustiva, which may occur in up to 10% of cases (although it usually does not break and bleed). If the sores do not cover half your body, are not associated with blisters (unless that is what you mean by break and bleed), and are not associated with systemic symptoms, there is no need to stop the Sustiva. Symptomatic treatment for the rash is a good idea, and it may well improve over time (a number of weeks, usually). The key here is follow up and you need to be very careful if it gets worse....

Combivir+Reyataz+1 Norvir
Oral Hairy Leukoplakia Clean Up?