Carpel Tunnel or Neuropathy?

Hi Dr. Henry,

How can I tell the difference between Carpel Tunnel and Peripheral Neuropathy? I have pain and numbness in my hands and it is much worse at night - I lose almost all sensation on the surface of my skin, but my hands really hurt. This all started a year after I became HIV+ and seems much worse now. I recently began taking meds ....Combivir+Reyataz+1Norvir.

I was also wondering if I could take the 2 Reyataz+1 Norvir+1 Combivir at night and 1 Combivir in the morning? I suffer from irritable bowel and I would like to minimize the additional side effects of the meds during the work day. Thank you for your time in responding.

The hand symptoms you describe would be much more consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome than due to HIV or drug related neuropathy. I would recommend an evaluation by a neurologist possible with nerve conduction studies to further pinpoint the cause which would then lead to a discussion about treatment options. It is usually OK to change the dosing of your regimen as you outlined--I would discuss with your HIV specialist. KH

Testim and Chest pain
hip replacement surgery