Twice a day Reyataz?

I'm going to be starting Reyataz with Ziagen and Epivir. I want to take Reyataz twice a day like the Ziagen and Epivir. On my last regimen I had fewer side effects taking Viramune/Epivir and Viread twice a day instead of once a day (awkward cause I had to cut the single Viread in half). Is there any reason I can't take half the Reyataz (one pill) twice a day?

Response from Dr. Conway

You are in uncharted territory, my friend.

The Epivir and Ziagen can be taken either once or twice a day. As for Reyataz, it has been exclusively as a once a day preparation. My biggest concern is that if you take it twice a day, the blood levels that will be achieved will not be therapeutic (especially early on), increasing the chance of developing resistance to the Epivir, the Reyataz and perhaps even the Ziagen.

I would put forward two options:

1. Try taking everything once a day (5 pills, soon to be 3 pills when GSK combines the Epivir and the Ziagen).

2. Take the two Reyataz, one Ziagen and one Epivir at night, and the second Ziagen and Reyataz in the morning. I propose this as it sounds as if side effects are a problem for you, so if you take most of the medications at bedtime, you may "sleep through" any side effects that may develop.

Good luck...

reyataz interactions
Can stopping Sustive abruptly cause side effects?