Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Adherence Issues
Mar 21, 2004

I started taking meds 110 days ago. I am on Viramune, Viread, Epivir twice a day. I have missed 4 evening doses and 2 morning doses in the past 100 days. Sometimes I take my morning dose a few hours late but never outside of the 3 hour window I've been told about. If I really clamp down now should I be OK or should I throw in the towel and switch to a once a day treatment? I would like to try to find some new ways to remind myself to take my meds before I change. On the other hand I'm wondering if its worth the risk. How long does it take to build resistance? At what point, if I still haven't manage to achieve the 95 mark, should I ask to be changed to a once a day which I assume would be a change from Viramune to Sustiva. I wanted to avoid Sustiva because of the CNS side effects but I take my chances with nightmares if it means not building resistance.

Response from Dr. Conway

By my count, you are 97% adherent (missing 6/200 doses). Bravo!!!!

I will assume, for the purposes of thsi discussion, that your viral load is undetectable at this point. If it is not, the issues are very different. I would be concerned that resistance to one or more of the drugs you are taking was present before you even started your treatment, and I would do a test on the virus you are now carrying to see if this is the case.

First, I would tell you that you can easily switch to once a day without changing your regimen. I realize that the Viramune label does not support once a day dosing, but we and others have been doing this for years with excellent results. For me, there is NO reason to switch to Sustiva just to go to once a day.

If your viral load is now undetectable, talk to your doctor about switching to once a day to reduce your level of anxiety with adherence, and DO keep up the good work.

Previous
Post diagnosis memory loss
Next
Maintaining Erections and Semen Discharge

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.