compound illnesses...

Hi-- my cousin was diagnosed this weekend with fullblown AIDS. He has a cd4 count of 48 and viral load unknown" as of now. Went into the hospital with two major heart attacks, suffered a mini stroke and has been thru chemo three times for colon cancer. He also has had pleurisy, has had shingles in the past three months and now has a staph infection in the lungs. Considering current available treatments, what do you think his response to meds will be? Are there any specials combos that he can be put on with care being paid to all his other conditions? My family and I are desperate for answers. Thank you in advance for reading.

Wow-depending on what chemotherapy he is on the HIV medications can be chosen to not overlap with other side effects he is experiencing. In cases like that I often would use a very simple HIV regimen while he is taking so many other medications (such as D4t, tenofovir and efavirenz). A good HIV specialist could work with the other specialist involved with his care. It is not fair for anyone to have that many problems at once. KH

replacement for Crixivan?
Jaundice from Reyataz