Time for meds again !

Hello, I am a 26 years old guy from Italy. In September 2001 I had a strong primary infection from HIV and I started with a therapy as suggested by my doctor: Combivir (1 pill twice a day) and Crixivan (2 pills x 3 times/day). After 6 months of treatment due to continuous and heavy side effects (nausea, vomit, digestive problems) I decided to interrupt treatment,also encouraged by good lab results. I am still not taking meds and keep on checking my levels, at the moment I have a viral load of 7400 and CD4 below 450, on top of it I have swollen lymphatic glands, therefore I decided to take meds again. My doctor suggested to take a new combination of meds, and before doing that I would like to have a suggestion from an expert like you !. Could you suggest a kind of therapy based on my actual clinical situation and strong side effects I was suffering from during the first treatment course ? Also,what do you think about the option of intermittent treatment ? Thanks for helping me out during this important decision. Grazie

I generally don't encourage use of HIV drugs if the CD4 count is > 350 and the viral load is < 10,000. If the patient has symptoms ( or is pregnant or other special circumstancs)that can influence the treatment decision in favor of treating. If you decide to treat and plan to possibly start and stop I would be wary of doing that with NNRTI drugs like Sustiva due to their long half half (meaning when you stop the drugs the Sustiva hangs around a long time increasing the risk for resistance). I favor using either a Kaletra or other ritonavir boosted PI (i.e-atazanavir,fosamprenavir) based regimen and seeing how you tolerate than should you choose to go back on therapy. KH

Loss of feeling in extremities
Late doses.