Body Fat and Crixivan/D4T/3TC

I have been on Crix/D4T/3TC for four years and consistently have had undetectable viral loads and over 1200 CD4 cell counts. The challenge I have now is with fat accumulation in the abdominal area. This may seem like a silly question but is it still possible, given my medications, to reduce this accumulation through proper diet and exercise or will I just lose more fat in the places where I have little to spare thereby complicating my lipo issues?

Good questions. Exercise and diet and a proper hormonal milieu ( i.e. testosterone levels) might help some but generally not to a satisfactory level. There are some interesting ACTG studies that will be looking at treatment interruptions as an approach to both minimizing drug exposure while maintaining satisfactory long term control of HIV. Studies with growth hormone and some anti-diabetes drugs are looking at whether those interventions might help. Switching the drugs around to ones that might be more fat friendly for you might me worth considering (i.e switch to AZT/3TC=Combivir + abacavir or efavirenz or nevirapine). What is good for you depends on what studies are available in your area and your past experiences. Most HIV specialist are good at assessing the situation and suggsting what might be a good fit for you. KH

The problems with meds..
Thursh