Dose of neurontin

I am not up to 6 pills a day for my neuropathy. I am taking the 300mg pill. I take 3 in the am and 3 in th pm. I don't feel like things are much better. ( I had been on 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.) Any other ideas

Higher doses of Neurontin are often used (up to 3200 mg/day). Gabitril is sometimes effective. Topical capsaicin or lidocaine can help. There are studies opening soon in the US by the ACTG looking at a new treatment for HIV related peripheral neuropathy and many sites are also studying a new potent form of capsaicin. There is also a role for NSAIDs and narcotics for pain relief as well as removing any offending agents and making sure the diagnosis is correct (good neurologic consultation is often very helpful). KH

<50 x 1yr, declining CD4, asymptomatic
off meds for 6 mos!!