Stop meds after starting early?

I am facing the decision of whether to stop meds or not after starting 3 1/2 yrs ago 3 wks after seroconversion. Currently on Epivir, Abacavir, Sustiva. I have been very lucky with vl consistently under 50 copies and CD4 above 1000 at over 50. I tested during serocoversion with vl >500,000 and started current regimen 3wks later with vl around 6000 and CD4 750 at its lowest.

The clinical trial where I receive meds is ending and I am trying to get educated opinions on whether to stop or not. I have no side effects/body changes - other than occasional drunk feeling eating to close to when I take Sustiva ( me and everyone else I'm sure)

What would you suggest - do in my shoes? I am worried about long term toxicities, worried about losing "ground" so to speak and wondering if people are able to go back on the same regimen that was working well for them before they stopped. The hit hard, hit early benefit theory isn't mentioned as much now as it was. I hear more about long term toxicities now. I don't want to mess up a good thing, but don't want to be on meds if I don't have to be.

Any advice would be appreciated and I realize what a lucky position I am in.

Thank you.

If you were symptomatic when seroconverting I would be more worred that your symptoms may recur when the meds were stopped. Most patients whose lowest CD4 levels was high (>> 350) can do pretty well stopping meds and being watched carefully by your HIV specialist. We really don't know what is the best approach. Data from several studies has suggested that you may do well for a number of years but perhaps 5% of patients will become symptomatic promptly necessitating restarting HIV meds. Off meds there is also increased concern about transmission to another person. I have had numerous patients in your situation who have done well off treatment while I have had only several who did not do well. KH

False positive THC in urine
Women and hormones