abdominal pain relieved by coca cola & gingerale?

i've gotten so tired of meds that i asked my pharmacist if he knew of something over the counter (OTC)for stomach pain -- so there i was looking for another drug. But he said that what worked for him was getting coca cola and shaking it many times till all the seltzer and carbonation was out and then drinking it -- as if drinking just the coke syrup. I tried it and it worked somewhat and i have severe stomach pains. So i was wondering if that would also work with ginger ale. i'm going to try that too. My question is, "What if anything does this mean medically speaking? Do you as a doctor or any of ur colleagues have anything to say about coke or gingerale as a reliever of abdominal pain?" I hope this question is worthy or a response because i know for sure that there are so many people out there with abdominal pain due to both the illness and the drugs being taken to overcome the illness. In fact if anyone else has any home remedies for abdominal pain like that, i'd sure like the coke thing, i'd sure like to hear from them. i'm steve gambino and my email address is gams02@aol.com and i'm not paranoid about who writes what to me.

Response from Dr. Boyle

I don't have any great explanations for why that works, especially since coca-cola is actually associated with stomach pain. There is, however, a theory that ginger leads to increased abdominal activity and expulsion of gas, thus decreasing pain from distention and "gas".

Dose of neurontin
ziagen, videx, sustiva combo = heart problems?