Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

abdominal pain relieved by coca cola & gingerale?
Mar 1, 2004

i've gotten so tired of meds that i asked my pharmacist if he knew of something over the counter (OTC)for stomach pain -- so there i was looking for another drug. But he said that what worked for him was getting coca cola and shaking it many times till all the seltzer and carbonation was out and then drinking it -- as if drinking just the coke syrup. I tried it and it worked somewhat and i have severe stomach pains. So i was wondering if that would also work with ginger ale. i'm going to try that too. My question is, "What if anything does this mean medically speaking? Do you as a doctor or any of ur colleagues have anything to say about coke or gingerale as a reliever of abdominal pain?" I hope this question is worthy or a response because i know for sure that there are so many people out there with abdominal pain due to both the illness and the drugs being taken to overcome the illness. In fact if anyone else has any home remedies for abdominal pain like that, i'd sure like the coke thing, i'd sure like to hear from them. i'm steve gambino and my email address is gams02@aol.com and i'm not paranoid about who writes what to me.

Response from Dr. Boyle

I don't have any great explanations for why that works, especially since coca-cola is actually associated with stomach pain. There is, however, a theory that ginger leads to increased abdominal activity and expulsion of gas, thus decreasing pain from distention and "gas".

Previous
Dose of neurontin
Next
ziagen, videx, sustiva combo = heart problems?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.