First Regimen Switch

I recently started treatment in October with Combivir + Kaletra. I have been throwing up a lot and fatigued and so my doctor said it was caused by the AZT component of Combivir. He has now switched me to Epivir + Viread + Kaletra. What's your opinion of this change? Do you think it is equally as potent? Is it bad that I switched drugs before my viral load went undetectable (although it has gone from almost 200,000 to just under 900 so far)? I've been really careful to take all my pills so far; I hate having to switch regimens so quickly. If necessary, will I be able to go back to AZT someday? Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.

Justin

Response from Dr. Conway

It is certainly a reasonable assumption that the side effects may be due to the AZT. The new regimen you are on is certainly quite potent, so I would have no concerns in this regard. As an aside,you are now on a regimen that can be taken once a day, given the recent results of the clinical trial that compared once daily and twice daily Kaletra, showing them to be equivalent.

As far as the single drug switch while your viral load is still detectable, it is not a great concern as long as there was no interruption in therapy and that your adherence was as high as you state it was.

Good job and good luck...

Sustiva Side Effects
Can I smoke cannabinoid or cannabis?