A good combination?

Is Viread plus ddI plus Sustiva a good combination? I'm sensitive to these three but resistant to AZT and 3TC. I take Viread, Sustiva, and Kaletra now with VL less than 50, but I am growing wary of the high triglycerides, cholesterol and now possible glucose intolerance. I was wondering if it would be wise for the substitution of ddI for Kaletra. Thanks. Terry

Response from Dr. Conway

This could be an excellent combination, as long as your virus is truly sensitive to it. I am a bit concerned given that you are on a triple class regimen, which may suggest that you have been on other treatments in the past. In that case, you may be resistant to drugs such as ddI that you are not currently taking, but may have taken in the past.

With this limitation, the combination of ddI and Viread is particularly attractive. Because of drug interactions, the ddI dose can be reduced and there is no need to take the ddI without food. Also, your total regimen would be 3 pills once a day.

HIV and AIDS
Adding Viread to a working regimen