Efavirenz and Biovir

Dear doctors After 3 years of being infected I started meds because my CD4 was around 120. My doctor prescribed to me Biovir (Zidovudina+Lamivudina)300+150 mg/caps twice a day and Efavirenz (Stocrim)600 mg/caps once a day. The side effects was supposed to end after 2 months, but I still feel not well. Some nauseas, tachycardia. I'm not feeling well. Please, doctors, what are the real side effects of these meds?

Response from Dr. Conway

Unfortunately, there are no medications or regimens that are completely free of side effects. It is true that most side effects will resolve over weeks or a few months, but this is not always the case.

Right now, I would want to make sure that there is no other medical cause for your symptoms. If not, I would think that the main cause of your side effects would be the zidovudine. If your plasma viral load is undetectable, you could consider a single drug switch from zidovudine to another NRTI, and see if this helps.

Viread VS AZT
Viramune risks