Viread VS AZT

I am taking Combivir and Viramune for 2,5 years now, I have no side effect yet, as I am worried on AZT long term effect. My doctor asked me to consider Viread instead of AZT. Is this a good choice,or should I think, if it works don't try to fix it. Also I am worried about longterm use of Viread and the state of my bones. My VL in <50 and CD4 480. He is recomending it in a once a day dose with 300mg of 3TC(once a day) and 400mg of nevirapine(once a day). tnxs in advance

Response from Dr. Conway

I am so much a fan of once daily therapy that I would be proposing the same thing (or something like this). People generally like to do things once a day rather than twice a day. I'm not sure I would be doing it because of any side effect concerns of any kind. If you are tolerating your current regimen of 2 pills in the morning and 2 pills at night, this is great. I'm not sure we can know that any long-term toxicity of Viread would be better or different from that of AZT. You would be changing to 4 pills once a day (same number of pills), with a high likelihood of maintaining virologic suppression.

So, I would consider this change if once a day dosing is important to you.

a thank you note to brian
Efavirenz and Biovir