Does HIV or HAART cause bone problems?

I am a 22 year old female who has HIV and has had it for 2 years now.I just wanted to know if HIV or meds taken for HIV cause bone problems?I am on Sustiva,Epivir and Viread and my viral load has been "undetectable" the last 4 times I have had it done.For about 6 months now I have been having alot of bone problems and pain...for instance when I bend my knees sometimes my bone will pop out of place and I get stuck for a few minutes until I am able to pop it back in place.Another thing is when I'm driving sometimes when I go to turn the steering wheel my wrists will crack and then they will hurt for many days.Can ant of this be caused by HIV or the meds I'm on?

Thank You, Lynda

Alot still needs to be worked out regarding bone issues in the setting of HIV and its treatment. The rate of bone loss may be increased but the data is conflicting and it is unclear if the drugs are contributing or HIV is the cause. The pain you are describing does not sound like osteoporosis (which is usually without pain initially). A good examination of the involved bones/joints as well as full knowledge of your medical history may shed light on what might be contributing--your HIV specialist is the best person to sort that out. KH

Aching joints
Adherence Issues