ziagen=death so why prescribe it?

i hope it's not too late to correct an email I sent earlier today. I included Trizivir with Ziagen. I really only was thinking about Ziagen, for when I first heard of it I had heard that stopping it and starting it again can lead to death. My question is why prescribe such a lethal drug to people who might forget to take Ziagen one day. That would mean that if they started it again, they have a good chance of killing themselves. At least that is how I interpret what write-ups i've read on it. I mentioned Trizivir because my pharmacist enclosed a card with Trizivir and Ziagen on it and I mixed everything up thinking both were the same -- you know how these drugs have at least 3 names. Anyhow, my question is about Ziagen: Why have such a lethal drug on the market? I just don't get it at all -- even as a last resort drug.

Response from Dr. Conway

I have already answered your previous questions, and hopefully reduced some of your fears.

You were actually right to include both Ziagen and Trizivir in your question, as Ziagen is a component of Trizivir (which also contains Retrovir and Epivir). Sometimes people who deal with this stuff on a regular basis forget this when they are talking to patients.

drug interractions-reyataz, Protonix, Nexium, Prilosec
Aching joints