Rash in eye socket and around nose and mouth

I stopped treatment of Sustiva/Combivir after 5 years of high T cells at 1100 with an undetectable viral load. This holiday lasted 2.5 years, my viral load skyrocketed to > 100k and T cells progressivly dropped down to 350. 5-6 months ago around the time my results showed these numbers I developed a rash around my left eye, with pock like bumps in eyesocket. No explanation from ID doc, he prescribed fluocinonide cream twice a day. This would keep the rash and bumps at bay but then it all returned full force if I stopped. I started the same HIV treatment Sept 12,2003. By Dec 1 T cells were up to 525 viral load is again undetectable, rash still persists. A different rash is present around mouth and nose. I had herpes on my chin for a few years off and on but it seems to have retreated significantly in the past year with the use of Abreva which is very effective and sold over the counter. Along with Sustiva and Combivir I am taking Ativan 1 mg a day (6 months), Remeron 60 mg a day at bedtime (3 months), Concerta 32mg sr 1 a day and Ritalin 10mg 1 a day when concerta wears off (both for last 3 years) Any suggestions or ideas? I have an appointment to see a Opthalmologist in a few days. Should I see one that specializes in HIV? should I see a dermatologist also? I'm very discouraged by this, I wish I never took the drug holiday my T cells were 1100 when I stopped.

Response from Dr. Conway

First, don't beat yourself up. You tried adrug holiday, and it could have worked. It didn't, and you started up your medications very appropriately.

Now, there are three possibilities for your rash:

1. It relates to some medication you're taking. The treatment here would be removing the offending agent, and maybe some steroid cream (such as the one you were taking in the past) to help it go away more rapidly.

2. It is an inflammatory condition of some sort. The steroid cream is the treatment here.

3. It is an infectious condition of some type, perhaps even atypical herpes. Here, there could be a specific treatment for whatever it is.

Often, an experienced ophthalmologist and/or dermatologist will know exactly what it is by looking at it, but may need to do a biopsy to be sure.

Seeing one or both of these specialists is the key at this point, in my opinion.

Gynecomastia treatment
Yellow eyes with atazanavir