Gynecomastia treatment

Last year I had surgery on my left pectoral to remove a gynecomastia mass. Since then, the same problem has started on the right side. I researched some alternatives, and ended up purchasing some Andractim DHT gel on the internet. It seemed to help, but now I can't get any more because the web site is gone. My doc prescribed Androgel as a substitute, but I read that it isn't the same as the DHT that the gyno study was based on.

Do you know if I can subsititute the Androgel for Andractim. And also, are those European steroid sites legit?

Thanks. BTW, I am on Sustiva, d4t, and 3tc.

Response from Dr. Conway

First, a few issues of fact.

Andractim is dihydrotestosterone, while Androgel is testosterone. For this indication, it is unclear why there should be a difference between these two agents.

Second, I am not a big fan of steroid sites on the net, European or otherwise. There is a broad range of products, and it is not always clear what is compounded and what is a "pure" product. Some of the so-called "androgens" that may be more appropriate for body building than for the treatment of breast enlargement, may actually be metabolized to estrogens in the body and worsen your problem. For your particular situation, I would buy in person to be sure you can ask the right questions and get the right answers.

Now, as for alternatives, there is some information on the use of tamoxifen in this setting, so you may wish to talk to your doctor about this.

Odd "side effects"?
Rash in eye socket and around nose and mouth