Adherence Out the Window

After improving my CD4 cell count and reducing my viral load to nill, I grew lazy about adhering to my regime of Kaletra, 3TC and Viread. Afraid of resistance, I soon stopped taking meds altogether and have yet to tell anyone. That was 4 months ago. Have I totally ruined my health and screwed things up?

Things are probably not that bad. When that happens with one of my patients I get more upset over the fact that the patients was frank with me then the issue of them stopping meds. Your regimen was a hardy one that can tolerate a fair amount of adherence mischief before it is blown (it is hard to develop resistance to Kaletra quickly). I would head back to your HIV doc and find out where you are and discuss your options. There are some more protease inhibitor options that involve fewer pills and perhaps once a day dosing or fewer side effects that might make adherence easier for you in the future. KH

Adding Viread to a working regimen
When Can I take a Break?