Help My Brother

My brother is positive. He is taking Combivir and Stocrin combination. He started taking them in Jan 04. His CD4 count was 1. He did another test early Feb and CD4 count = 4. He is very weak and having diarrhea. Please what would you suggest would help with the CD4 count and stopping the diarrhea. He is still taking the combination. I do not have any money to donate at the moment but I hope that you will still answer my question.

Response from Dr. Boyle

The combination your brother is on is very effective and you should do everything you can to keep him on it and to see that he takes it exactly as directed. Eventually, it will help him. The difficulty is with his current problems, which are likely related to an opportunistic (e.g., DMAC or cryptosporidiosis) or other (e.g., bacterial gastroenteritis) infection . He should be evaluated for the cause of his diarrhea, and if one can be identified, he should be treated for that. In the meantime, his doctor could consider empiric treatment for likely causes and, if he does not appear to have a bacterial gastroenteritis, he should consider giving your brother antidiarrheals as needed to control his symptoms.

stomach pains for months & drugs every other day
When Can I take a Break?