Therapy without a Protease Inhibitor

Viracept was causing erratic diarrhea. My doctor switched me to Kaletra. My combo is currently Kaletra, Videx, Viramune, and Viread.

The side effects of the Kaletra are worse than those of the Viracept.

Can a combo therapy work without a protease inhibitor?

Response from Dr. Conway

You are on a triple class combination regimen, which suggests to me that this is not your first HAART combination. It may be that, in your setting, you need the protease inhibitor to produce maximal virologic suppression. The best way to determine this is to go over your treatment history as well as the results of any drug resistance tests with your doctor to figure out if there may be a way of doing it without a protease inhibitor.

Assuming you DO need it, a new drug that is available and that has a more benign side effect profile (not to mention a low pill count) is atazanavir (Reyataz). You should discuss with your doctor whether this could work for you.

Odd "side effects"?
drug defect