When Can I take a Break?

Hi doc. I have been HIV+ for about 6 years now and doing very well went from a CD4 count of 28 to over 300 on HAART. I do suffer from a spastic colon and it sometimes makes me really sick and make me ending up in hospital where I get strong pain killers and other treatments. At what count can I take a break from my meds? Just to get my tummy a bit back to normal again? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Conway

A number of studies of treatment interruption have been done in people who have responded to long-term HAART. If the baseline CD4 count was above 300 or so, many of these individuals have been able to stay off treatment indefinitely. Others have had to restart treatment after a number of months, due to a decline in their CD4 counts to pre-treatment levels. This would likely be the case for you, but at least you would have a number of months off therapy.

Another option you might consider is to change your treatment, perhaps removing a single agent that is causing you the side effects and replacing it with another one. Could that work?

Starting treatment after years of non-treatment
Odd "side effects"?