A good combination?

Is Viread plus ddI plus Sustiva a good combination? I'm sensative to these three but resistant to AZT and 3TC. I take Viread, Sustiva, and Kaletra now with VL less than 50, but I am growing wary of the high triglycerides, cholesterol and now possible glucose intolerance. I was wondering if it would be wise for the substitution of ddI for Kaletra. Thanks. Terry

Response from Dr. Conway

This is a spectacularly good idea, I would say, for a number of reasons.

1. The combination itself is similar to the Viread, Sustiva and Epivir that has been studied and leads to long-term virological suppression in over 95% people who are adherent to the medication.

2. Because of the drug interaction between ddI and Viread, you can reduce the dose of ddI-EC to 250 mg/day and you no longer have to worry about taking the ddI in the fasted state.

3. The new regimen that you are proposing consists of 3 pills once a day. How much simpler can it get?

I would DEFINITELY go ahead.

hair loss
First Regimen Switch