hair loss

Dear Dr:

I have been taking treatment now for 3 years of Combivir/Sustiva. I am 24 years old, male, good counts (undetectable, CD4 820). Prior to treatment, I had never receeded or lost hair, but now am starting to notice dramatic receeding/hair loss. What i wanted to know if the treatment that I am taking could be causing this. If treatment might be causing this problem which would be the offending med. I appreciate your answer and thanks for being there to answer my question.

Mark

Response from Dr. Conway

Hi, Mark.

If this is happening suddenly, it is unlikely to be related to your HIV medications, especially since you have been taking them for 3 years. Such events as you describe are most likely to occur early on in treatment. If I had to pick a single drug that might be causing the problem, it would be the Retrovir part of the Combivir.

Given that your CD4 count is a staggering 820 (congratulations on this, by the way), you may be a candidate to stop treatment if you so desire, especially if your CD4 count has never been below 300-250. This would free you of the need to take pills every day, and would address the issue of whether the pills are involved with your hair loss.

I should tell you that hair loss is a common medical problem, and can be brought on by many systemic illnesses, including stress. Also, in men, there is a genetic component, if other men in your family have had hair loss/baldness, especially early in life.

I hope some of this helps.

Fatigue & Short Term Memory Loss
A good combination?