Diarrhea from ARV

Dear Doctor, I was treated with AZT,3TC and Efavirnze for the reason of HPI for 1 month period. I have aproblems of diarrhea and loose stool and sometimes N/V before next dose of ARV. The questions are 1) What is the cause of my diarrhea 2) I would like to know about skin and nail change as hyperpigmentation after AZT treatment.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Nausea and vomiting are relatively common with AZT, and while skin and nail hyperpigmentation can also occur with this medication it is relatively uncommon. Diarrhea on the other hand is pretty uncommon with these medications. If these problems persist, you should consider seeing your doctor. He/she can give you something for the nausea and vomiting and can evaluate the potential causes of the diarrhea, which may be medication related but may also be related to other causes.

Reyztaz blood sugar levels/side effects
Pain Management