Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 counts
Feb 2, 2004

not sure where to ask this so i'll try here. i've been on treatment for 5 years, sustiva and combivir. my viral load has been undetectable for 4 1/2 years. i've had only one oportunistic infection in the beginning and almost no side effects, but my t-cells won't go over 300. i exercise, take vitamins and almost never get colds even. why is this?

confused in jersey............

Response from Dr. Boyle

To be honest, we're not completely sure. While many patients have brisk and continuing CD4 count increases, some do not. This may be associated with the CD4 low point, older age, hepatitis C co-infection, and other factors. While we are worried about patients who fail to get over 200, someone like you, who is around 300, should feel relatively safe since opportunistic infections and other problems are unlikely if those levels are maintained. There are studies underway to evaluate the factors associated with limited CD4 recovery and potential treatments (e.g., IL-2) so more information should be coming along in the next year or so.

Previous
Information you requested to fully answer Q on insulin resistance and biopsy results
Next
Wasting in Face and Buttox

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.